about tŷ hafan
Tŷ Hafan is one of the UK’s leading paediatric palliative care charities and offers the only children’s hospice service in south Wales.
If you think this means we simply provide a place where children can come to die, you couldn’t be further from the truth.
We offer comfort, care and support to life-limited children, young people and their families so they can make the most of the time they have left together.
We allow parents and carers to relax and recharge their batteries. And we make sure the needs of brothers and sisters are never forgotten.
what do we mean by life-limited?
We use the term life-limited to describe a child not expected to live beyond 18 years of age.
We have supported nearly 600 children since we opened in 1999.
We are there for families in Wales for however long they need us – at home, in hospital, at school and in our hospice.
Importantly, we’re also a family’s safe haven when their child is close to the end of life, providing expert comfort and support in their darkest hours and beyond.
Every year Tŷ Hafan has to raise £3.7 million to provide its free services to families in Wales.
It costs over £3.7 million each year for Tŷ Hafan to provide our specialist one-to-one care and outreach services to life-limited children, young people and their families.
Because we’re not part of the health service, in 2012–2013 we received less than 10% in statutory funding towards this figure.
This means Tŷ Hafan and our incredible supporters currently need to over £3.7 million every year for us to continue our life-changing work.
It’s a big ask. But together, we know we will and must do it.
how does tŷ hafan raise the money it needs each year?
Our income is generated in many different ways. These include:
- fundraising activities by individuals, schools, churches and community groups
- monthly regular donations from individuals
- our network of charity shops across south Wales
- Tŷ Hafan-organised events, such as the Welsh3peaks, Midnight Sleep Walk and Taff Trail Cycle Challenge
- our lottery, Crackerjackpot, which is the largest (over 40,000 members) hospice lottery in the UK
- businesses fundraising for us or providing services free of charge
- supporters leaving gifts in their Wills to us
- one-off donations from supporters given at events or through our website.
does tŷ hafan receive any funding from the government?
Tŷ Hafan is independent from the NHS and has no guaranteed statutory funding.
In 2012–13, Tŷ Hafan received £334,037 from the Welsh Assembly Government and the Local Health Boards. This equates to 4.1% of our income.